It’s the time of year in Kansas City where the leaves change color and the weather gets cooler. It also means that homeowners start to turn on their furnaces to take the chill out of the morning air.

It also means that homeowners also need to be aware of carbon monoxide, which is a hidden danger capable of causing harm to them and their families.

So, What Is Carbon Monoxide & Where Does it Come From?

Carbon Monoxide (or CO for short) is a colorless, odorless gas.  It can be produced from a variety of sources:

  • Furnaces
  • Gas Fireplaces
  • Stoves
  • Automobiles
  • Grills
  • Lanterns
  • Generators

Carbon Monoxide can build up indoors and cause a multitude of issues: headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea, and even death. So it’s important that homeowners in Kansas City are aware of how you can prevent these issues.

How Can You Prevent Carbon Monoxide Issues in Your KC Home

There are a few things homeowners can do to prevent CO poisoning in their homes:

  1. Install a CO detector in your home. EVERY home should have a detector where it will wake you up if it sounds. The most common detectors are either battery operated or plug into an electrical socket. If battery operated, change the batteries every year when you change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
  2. Have your heating system inspected every year. A simple furnace tune-up can check for carbon monoxide coming from the system.
  3. Inspect the venting from your gas appliances on a regular basis. Over time your vents may develop rust or other issues, and proper venting ensures the carbon monoxide leaves your home.
  4. Never burn charcoal indoors.
  5. Never use a gas stove for heating your home.
  6. Don’t use a generator inside your home or garage or less than 20’ from a window.
  7. Have your chimney inspected every year to make sure there is no debris blocking the openings.

If your carbon monoxide detector alarm ever sounds or if you start to experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave your home immediately and contact 9-1-1.

Carbon Monoxide is an issue that needs to be taken seriously. Much like all homes should have smoke alarms, they should also have working carbon monoxide detectors.

If you have any questions, contact City Wide Heating & Cooling at 913-384-6006.